Sunday, December 26, 2004

Karibu!

Time running out. No festivities of holidays, yet. I couldn't even celebrate the winter solstice, the most important religious date for us the sun worshippers. I have to apologize to my mentor Rudy Anaya who showed me the way of the sun!

Earlier this month I attended a lecture given by his excellency ambassador E.E. Mtango of Tanzania, given at Meiji University, my workplace. It was fun and revealing. Africa! The vastness is there.

What intrigued me most was the word "Karibu." Sounds like the Caribbean, when transcribed into Japanese! It means "welcome" in Swahili, so Keisuke Dan taught me. Keisuke has spent some time in Kenya and was once married to a girl from Uganda, so he knows some Kiswahili. It's a language I like to pick up along with Malay, another language of commerce. Together they would come in very handy for any coastal navigations.

Four more days to end this year 2004. How shall we forget all that happened in 2004? And all that we hoped would happen?