Sunday, May 15, 2005

Maori TV

I have never been a regular television watcher in my entire life, but ever since this April I have been watching just one station for hours without sometimes making much of it. It's Maori Television. Their home page is www.maoritelevision.com and here is what's at the top of it:

Hutia te rito o te harakeke
Kei hea te koako e ko e?
Whakataerangitia. Tirohia ki uta, tirohia ki tai,
A, ui mai ki a au, he aha te mea nui o te ao?
Mau e ki atu
He tangata, he tangata, he tangata.

Pull out the centre stalk of the flax bush
And where will the bellbird drink?
Take it to the skies, look to the sea, look to the shore,
Then ask me, what is the most important thing in the world?
I say to you ミ
It is people, it is people, it is people

My favourite program is Korero mai, the Maori language instruction program. I am trying to take in as many Maori words and phrases as I can!