Saturday, January 21, 2006

Local Hero (Bill Forsyth, 1983)

This is one of my all-time favorites. I've watched it several times, but once again, it gives me an ineffable joy. How can I explain its charm? The story is very understated, no character stands out as very attractive, not much happens, the sense of humor is too subtle, but the overall effects are simply captivating. Mark Knopfler's music is perfect. When I die, it will be the tune I'd like to listen to for the last time on this earth! Scotland, ah, Scotland. It's like nowhere on the planet. A true sense of the extraordinary in the ordinary.

Housekeeping is another striking masterpiece from Bill Forsyth. But I can't find his trace in this millenium; what is he doing? Is he doing well? I hope he will come back to produce another great film in that vein.