Monday, January 30, 2006

The Milagro Beanfield War (Robert Redford, 1988)

This along with Local Hero is one of my all-time favourites. I watched it in Hawaii in 1988 and then visited New Mexico for the first time in 1989... My southwest days began.

Looking back, this is a great film, very well-conceived, well-sustained, and well-finished. I love every bit of it. And the visual is marvelous.

Ruben Blades and Christopher Walken are both still youngish. They are in their early forties. Now that I have passed their ages at this stage, I can't watch this film without a kind of nostalgia.

The impression that remains is that of the wind. It's the wind that tells the truth. See the sequence in which copies of the local newspaper, La Voz, are blown away to reach people.

The beauty of the tierra encantada is quite breath-taking.