Friday, July 24, 2009

Harmony Korine, etc.

Thursday. Re-watched 3 films by Harmony Korine in a row with some graduate students.

Awesome. They keep me breathless. Sheer, strange beauty of things.

Of them, though, Julien Donkey Boy stands out as a true masterpiece. What a story, and what images beyond imagination! Compared to this, Mister Lonely is too mature, too much under control. Or do I tend to be charmed by imperfection of a certain kind?

Other films this year:

47. Luc Jacquet, La marche de l'empereur (2005)
48. The Coen brothers, No Counry for Old Men (2007)

Too much anthropomorphism in 47, I know, and I am very aware of what Werner Herzog has to say on this. Still, its cinematography is simply outstanding. A disgraceful masterpiece to be watched by all humans.

Finally watched 48 and liked it immensely! I love every bit of it. There is a lot in common with Fargo, thematically. Yet this desert landscape of the Texas-Mejico borderlands is irreplaceable. Crazy guys. I'd love to meet the Coens one day.