Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A League of Their Own (Penny Marshall, 1992)

Now I watched it. It makes me miss the US, to be honest. Living in another hemisphere, in the realm of rugby and cricket, baseball is something I miss most. Baseball is the greatest American invention, its only glory along with the civil rights movement. Only a couple of weeks ago I watched BIG (1988) with my children and really enjoyed it. This is another family film by Penny Marshall, the actress-director hailing from the Bronx.

I know I can watch it again, in French, and again, in Spanish, and so on and so forth, but the most unexpected scene for me came when the girls were practicing and a ball went astray and it was thrown back surprisingly hard by a by-stander. Obviously it was thrown by another, very strong-armed girl. She turned out to be black, and we knew that the league was all white and there was no way she could join. I'd give credit to Penny Marshall's judgment to include this bit of episode. However passing it may be, it leaves a strong impression.

Will watch it again, definitely! A very lovable film it was.