Sunday, August 28, 2005

On Polylingualism

At a local supermarket I bought a DVD on sale. A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN (1992), with Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, and Madonna. What surprised me was the DVD's multilingualism. I have language options of English, Italian, French, German, and Spanish. So far so good. Then I have sub-title options of English, Greek, Italian, French, German, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Hindi, Turkish, Danish, Arabic, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese, Hebrew, and Spanish. This is paradise for an amateur linguist.

Back in 1984, I learned to read Portuguese in Barzil by watching American films with Portugese sub-titles day in day out. One of them was Racing With the Moon, with Sean Penn and Elizabeth McGovern. To me that film was a reading practice.

At least I can watch this DVD 5 times, each time with a different language. That's the aural part. Then some more times. That's the reading part. Wow.

It was priced at 9.99 (NZD). Talk about cost performance!