Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer Solstice

Last sunday to celebrate the summer solstice I watched with some friends three documentaries related to the theme of what we eat (and drink):

35. Hubert Sauper, Darwin's Nightmare (2004)
36. Nikolaus Geyrhalter, Our Daily Bread (2008)
37. Marc & Nick Francis, Black Gold (2006)

Well aware of the controversity surrounding the film, 35 nonetheless is very powerful after a couple of viewings. 36 I watched last year at the theatre and this time surprizingly the impact is less than the first time... am I getting used to it? 37 is quite interesting, too.

During this time I re-watched such films as Soy Cuba and Suite Habana both related to my course at Waseda but I am not counting them. The greatest experience came from Harmony Korine that I only came to discover (a decade late, I know, but sometimes timing plays a great part in our lives... don't blame me...).

38. Harmony Korine, Gummo (1997)
39. Harmony Korine, Julien Donkey-boy (1999)

The estadounidense culture being so deeply sick what is depicted in both films are quite shocking and often so stupid, and yet, and yet, what incredible moments of beauty and revelation. More on him in the near future. Herzog as the crazy father in 39 is hilarious and chilling.