Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Most Famous Aucklander of My Life (Bruce McLaren)

Driving in Auckland I came across a street named Bruce McLaren. I said to myself, wait a minute. Is this THAT Bruce McLaren? (This is becoming a pattern.) The answer is yes, it is that Bruce McLaren, the F1 King.

At one point in my life, he was my hero. My age was still in the single digit. It was the time of Bruce & Denny, when the team McLaren dominated the racing world. I remember very well the day I read of his death during the test driving accident in the paper. I was in the sixth grade. It was in 1970.

I lost interest in motor car racing right after that time and although I knew very well that Jackie Stewart was a Scot, I didn't even once pay attention to McLaren's nationality. Kids always have blind spots.

It's so nice anyway to find out one's lacune in knowledge. Now I can say for sure. Bruce McLaren is the most famous Aucklander of my life!