Thursday, January 31, 2008

February

And the light is now bright. Two pocket-size books today:

105. 多和田葉子『旅をする裸の眼』(講談社文庫)
106. 桐野夏生『白蛇教異端尋問』(文春文庫)

105 has the end-of-the-volume essay by Shigemi Nakagawa who was my fellow presenter at the Tawada conference in 2004 at the U of Kentucky, organized by Doug Slaymaker.

I am also asked to contribute to a new collection of essays on Tawada, but so far can't come up with any new idea... Got to make a decision soon.

Then in the evening when my mind was going astray:

107. ヘルマン・ヘッセ『知と愛』(高橋健二訳、新潮文庫)

Why is this? Well, there is a series of associations, but too detailed and uninteresting to mention here. Hesse was one of my first authors anyway, and this is the first book of his in probably thirty years! This time I was only intrigued by its original title: Narziss und Goldmund. Golden Mouth! What was it about, I could barely recall. Thus, the purchase made.