Monday, January 21, 2008

First French Books of the Year

Going through Shinjuku this afternoon I couldn't resist the temptation of dropping in at France Tosho (La librairie française). I don't want to buy any more books, as I said, but my stupidity forced me to buy some more.

I have been buying books at this shop for, what, 29 years now. I am pretty sure I once was one of the most-spending individual customers (outside of professionals such as French lit profs) but I haven't been treated particularly well. Anonymity never fails.

Here is a list of what I bought there today:

50. Philippe Sollers, Un vrai roman: Mémoires (Plon)
51. Guillaume Apollinaire, Poèmes à Lou (Poésie/Gallimard)
52. Guillaume Apollinaire, Le Guetteur mélancolique (Poésie/Gallimard)
53. Antonin Artaud, Pour en finir avec le jugement de dieu (Poésie/Gallimard)
54. Léon-Paul Fargue, Poésies (Poésie/Gallimard)

Then I went to our Surugadai Campus for a couple of meetings, and after that at a second hand bookshop:

55. Clarence Major, ed., Black Slang (Routledge & Kegan Paul)
56. Christopher Horrocks, Baudrillard and the Millenniun (Icon Books/Totem Books)

And then finally at Sanseido:

57. William Irvine, On Desire (Oxford UP)
58. Nouvet et al. eds., Minima Memoria: In the Wake of Jean-François Lyotard (Stanford)

There are so many things I want to do simultaneously I remain motionless... But these days I am getting VERY serious about on whom to write before I leave this world... Apollinaire, certainly. Lyotard, definitely. Artaud, if I could. Sollers, if just for fun.

Happy reading.